Last updated: August 22, 2017
At Lottery.com, we take your security and reports of fraud very seriously. There have been reports of lottery scammers who may pretend to be employees of a lottery board or Lottery.com; they may use actual lottery logos (Powerball or Mega Millions) and Lottery.com company logos.
Prevent yourself from being a victim of a scam by being aware of the following:
- Lottery.com employees will NEVER ask you for money.
- Never send money to an unknown recipient. This includes checks, money orders, prepaid cards, wire transfers, or any other type of payment.
- Lottery.com will never ask you to transfer money. Your payment details will only be used to play the lottery within the app. To fund your account, you only do so within the Lottery.com app.
- Lottery.com will never ask you to ship anything.
- All transactions are managed within the Lottery.com app. Do not respond to any third parties who contact you regarding any type of transaction, personal information, or payment.
- Do not respond to any inquiries about winning the lottery if you played with Lottery.com. Lottery.com will notify you directly within the app.
- Do not give out any personal information outside of the app, which includes your name, address, bank account information, Social Security number, PIN, or any other personal information.
- Beware of phone calls and emails telling you you’re a winner and asking for personal information. Again, we won’t call you about that, and will always contact you within the app.
For more information about scams, or to file a complaint, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at (877) FTC-HELP or http://www.ftc.gov/crossborder.
Here is a SAMPLE lottery scam email — DO NOT RESPOND OR CLICK ON THIS TYPE OF EMAIL:
PRIME LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL
We happily announce to you the draw of the UK-LOTTO Sweepstake Lottery International programs held on the 27th of March, 2017 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 564 75600545188 with Serial number 5368/02 drew the lucky numbers: 19-6-26-17-35-7, which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd category.
You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of US$2,500,000.00 (Two million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in cash credited to file ktu/9023118308/03.This is from a total cash prize of U.S $2.5 Million dollars, shared amongst the first nine (9) lucky winners in this category.
All participants were selected randomly from World Wide Web site through computer draw system and extracted from over 100,000 companies. This promotion takes place annually. Please note that your lucky winning number falls within our European booklet representative office in Europe as indicated in your play coupon. In view of this, your U.S$2,500,000.00 (Two million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) would be released to you by our payment office in Europe.
Our European agent will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your funds as soon as you contact him. For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential till your claims is processed and your money remitted to you in whatever manner you deem fit to claim your prize.
This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements. Please be warned.
To file for your claim, please contact our fiduciary agent: Mr Richard Diwar
To avoid unnecessary delays and complications, please quote your reference/batch numbers in any correspondence with us or our designated agent.
Congratulations once more from all members and staffs of this program. Thank you for being part of our promotional lottery program.
SIR HENRY WATSON